Doom Universe Incident 1 : The Shores of Hell The Way Romero Did
joe-ilya last edited by joe-ilya
Welcome to the first installment of DUI, the theme of this one is to make Hellish Tech Bases in the style of Romero's maps from E1 of Doom.
Slots (anyone can claim) :
E2M1 - Reserved after all maps are finished
M2 - Open
M3 - Open
M4 - Open
M5 (secret exit) - Open
M6 - Flooded Foundry - joe-ilya
M7 - Open
M8 (boss map) - Open
M9 (secret map) - Open
- Wad names must be named like this : dui1_username_slot.wad
- Vanilla compatible.
- No BFG.
- No cyberdemons (Except for M8), nor Spider masterminds.
- 199 monsters max.
- Must use white/gray rock as outdoor terrain.
- New music is allowed.
- Must have difficulty settings.
- Must have co-op and deathmatch player starts added and compatible with.
- No new textures, nor flats, nor sprites allowed.
- No usage of fast actions such as fast lifts, fast doors, etc. as these were unavailable in Doom 1 until Episode 4.
- No vanilla tricks such as instant raising/lowering floors/ceilings, self-referencing sectors.
- Deadline will be decided and announced later.
- E2M8 must have a normal map section before the boss arena, similar to Romero's E1M8b.
Here's some ways you can imitate Romero's style :
- Outdoor areas are reserved for secrets and vistas only
- Horseshoe layout
Put important things and/or new places that can be seen ahead of time, but can't be instantly accessed, and require some walkaround.
- Symmetrical rooms
- Secrets that act as shortcuts around the map
Here's some ways you can incorporate some hellishness into your map, using (but not restricted to) these Romero-isms :
- Cracks in the floor/ceiling
- Red stars that act as teleporters
Walter-c last edited by
This looks like a very interesting project! There's not many DTWID projects... Are you planning more of these?
joe-ilya last edited by
@Walter-c Yes, I'm planning to make more DUIs, they're going to have different map formats, and different deadlines, depending on the theme of the incident.