Hello everyone, tonight I present you with Perquisite Strata X, or in layman's terms, a Boom compatible conversion of exclusive levels from Doom's PlayStation console port!
That's right, you can totally boot it up in Prboom+ UM, DSDA Doom and derivatives! Demo compatible! Should work on complevels 9 and up; if you set it to MBF compatible, you can change various physics settings to make it closer to how vanilla should feel.
Before proceeding however, keep in mind that this port is meant for Boom compatible ports, and will not include fancy gizmos like coloured lightning. If you want that, you should probably check out Doom: The Lost Episode and the Playstation Doom TC. What is included however, are plenty of things to replicate the feel of the original while staying true to the PC version of the game:
* Levels are directly converted from the contents of the original CD, and are now utilising the textures found in the Doom 2 IWAD. Missing textures were either ported, or recreated using Doom 2 assets.
* The PSX version handles lightning very differently from the DOS release, and as such sector brigthness varied extremely right after the conversion process. I performed adjustments so that it looks more or less like it did on the console.
* The music has been extracted from the LCD files on the original CD, and has been converted to Module Tracker songs. Sounds faithful, and saves space! CD Tracks use OGG though.
* The Hook sprite is included via a DEHACKED patch. The PSX version had different types of spectres, and as such I've included a translucent pinky and the Nightmare Demon from Eviternity to provide replacements.
* To accommodate coloured lightning, some textures were actually recoloured.
* Boom action specials are used to recreate scrolling and translucency effects.
* UMAPINFO and MUSINFO are utilised, and your port is expected to support them.
* Twilight Descends had some atrocious texturing issues, and I couldn't stand by without fixing them. Sorry, not sorry.
* I've thrown an ENDOOM graphic for the hell of it.
List of levels:
1. Hell Gate
2. Hell Keep
3. Twilight Descends
4. The Marshes (Secret)
5. Threshold of Pain
6. The Mansion
7. Club Doom (Secret)
8. Redemption Denied
And most importantly of all, the credits:
* id Software for the original game, Williams Entertainment for the port, American McGee for Hell Gate and Hell Keep, Randy Estrella for the Marshes, Tim Heydelaar for the Mansion, Aubrey Hodges for the music and Danny "Technoman" Lewis for the Club Doom song.
* [Kaiser](https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/38608-the-console-doom-hacking-project-console-specs/) for making the PSXMake tool. [Reposted here](https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=226417).
* [I.C.H.I. Znot and Impboy4](https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/103794-ps1-doom-music-converted-to-midi-grab-here/) for providing the music in MIDI format along with the soundfont for it.
* [Roger Motzkus](http://www.motzkusart.com/product.html) for the cover art. The M_Doom graphic uses the Saturn cover art instead.
* [Fabien Sanglard](https://fabiensanglard.net/doom_fire_psx/) for providing the code for generating the fire effect.
* The authors behind the Nightmare Demon sprites and sounds, from Eviternity, by Dragonfly et al.
* [PsyDoom](https://doomwiki.org/wiki/PsyDoom) for making the game playable on PCs, so it could be used as a reference point.
* Ultimate Doom Builder
* Adobe Photoshop CC
* PSXMake by Kaiser
* For the fire effect, a combo of Notepad++, Chrome, ShareX and VLC
Last, but not least, here's the download link:
28th May 2023 - Version 0.5:
Before this version, you were able to collect the megasphere in Club Doom from the wrong side by using the ramming against a wall bug. Since you couldn't do that in the PSX version, I decided to fix it >:-3.
22nd May 2023 - Version 0.4:
Fixed the Nightmare Spectres dropping an Imp sprite upon death in some ports.
30th April 2023 - Version 0.3:
The blue key switch in Threshold of Pain is now easier to press, regarding the passing use thru linedefs bugs.
Fixed some linedefs not being hidden in The Mansion as they should.
30th April 2023 - Version 0.2:
Fixed the fact that Nightmare Spectres dropped Bullet pickups upon death.
Fixed a texturing error in the crate room in Twilight Descends(took a little liberty).
24th April 2023 - Version 0.1:
This is the first public release, so if you find any errors or problems, please make sure to notify me about them.
Have fun! Hope to see some demos soon enough!