These maps are downright sexy! Amazing work.
Best posts made by Gibbon
RE: Post screenshots of the projects you're working on!!
Pandora 64 - Shovelware Inspired Megawad (again)
So for those who don’t know, Pandora was a shovelware inspired megawad (35 maps) for Doom 2, designed to either annoy you or give you nostalgia for those CD’s you picked up in the mid 90’s with terrible levels.
The original is here: pandora_22.zip
Well, Doom64 missed all that loving, it only got the cool stuff. So since Pandora is now done, I’ll introduce Pandora 64!
- Remaster is the primary port to focus on as it will work on EX-Plus if it works on that.
- No HOMS or tutti’s are available in D64 so maps have to be even more annoying to compensate. But still beatable and completable without cheats.
- Custom midis allowed.
- Maps should be beatable for pistol starters.
I’ll handle the MAPINFO lump and MAP01. The rest is up for grabs including menu graphics etc..
Once you have posted a slot number, consider it yours, even if I haven’t added it immediately, as long as it wasn’t claimed by someone else first.
Ok, the main part!
How to get started mapping for it?
- Get the N64 ROM (if you ever owned it in the past, then it is legal to do so)
- Buy the Remaster from Nightdive
- Get DoomBuilder64: https://github.com/thekovic/DoomBuilder64/releases
- Make Awesome Stuff!
- You may need a source port.
Pandora 64 will support 2 source ports.
- Official Remaster
- Mine Doom 64 EX-Plus: https://github.com/atsb/Doom64EX-Plus
Deadline? 12 months from now (July 30th 2023). This gives people enough time to get to grips with it and have a WAD with no rush. However if it is ready before that time then it will be released early.
MAP01 - GIBBON
MAP03 - AtomicFrog
MAP11 - Kovic
MAP17 - Immorpher
MAP18 - LadyMistDragon
MAP19 - United Virus X
MAP20 - United VirusX
MAP21 - Dusty Rhodes
MAP22 - United Virus X and Immorpher
MAP23 - Blue Thunder
Sprinkled Doom + Tools
So, to avoid having such a giant list, I've opted to have updates for my 2 main ports, Sprinkled Doom and RZDoom plus some useful tools. A ton of other stuff remains on my github as usual. Releases are on the github links in the Release tab.
- Sprinkled Doom - Latest release is 3.4.1
Sprinkled Doom is a fork of Chocolate Doom with widescreen capability (plus Unity statbar) with full Choco / Vanilla compatibility but without any of the fixes or additions that Crispy Doom has. It is a middle-ground between Choco and Crispy. It was kept in-sync with Choco but I have since broken that as they were doing changes and fixes I had already made, and things got very messy.
This is a TurboC update of the old DeathManager tool shipped with Doom/Doom2/Heretic etc.. I received the source and added features to it for a better experience for those who use DOS for vanilla play.
- DeHackEd and DeuSF support (for Doom)
- HeHacked and DeuSF support (for Heretic)
- SeHacked and DeuSF support (for Strife)
- Ability to use many different executables
- Upgrading the GUI's and fixing some bugs in the code
- Making separate versions for Heretic and Strife.
- Ability to record a demo
I also reactivated the Funky Blue colour via Assembler:
I have uploaded them here as the source code is still closed and I am unable to release it due to Romero himself asking for it to be so. Apparently, Bethesda wasn't happy with all the code releases he did in the past.
RE: Sprinkled Doom + Tools
RZDoom has had a major update and now is at version 3.1.0.
Release (binaries for Linux and Windows): https://github.com/atsb/rzdoom/releases/tag/3.1.0
- Optimising Windows Inputs
- UMAPINFO rev1.4 support (with a deviation on intermusic functionality)
- Removal of all JPEG support
- Replacing BYTE with uint8_t modern equivalent for intermission code (ongoing for other areas)
- FIXED: Barrel explosion timing
- FIXED: Hexen stair crushers
- ADDED: Pistol Start ability
- FIXED: VSync support
- Fully supports Brutal Doom Community Expansion project
Latest posts made by Gibbon
RE: my first wad
Well first of, as LargeCat said, good job doing your first map. Now lets get into it.
The first section is ok, super shotty in the first room, a stuck archie and some HK and Revenants. No problem.
But that is where it kinda descends into absurdity. You pile on mobs after mobs and largely, the player will have a rocket launcher and super shotty. For an enormous amount of Revenants, HK, Barons and Cyberdemons... the end part is where I gave up. The floor you designed will chug on non-opengl rendered source ports due to the amount of linedefs they make up, and by all counts, it isn't possible to beat it on UV or HMP.
RE: Frightening Experiments 1: Recluse Tech (complevel 21)
Really love how this is coming along. Looks like a fantastic project, all the maps are amazing.
RE: So about that flashlight
I've been going through it again slowly, it does kinda hold up well. The models clearly show their age but the gameplay itself is quite fun. The flashlight is a huge contention amongst Doom 3'ers, one camp prefers the original as it was more tense, another prefers to BFG style since it allows for slightly more action and doesn't make it feel like a Silent Hill on Mars with guns.
Who knew such a tiny change would have been such a huge gameplay chism.
RE: Sprinkled Doom + Tools
When ENDOOM screens are on it seems like the console also waits for the ENDOOM to quit, but when quitting it the program freezes on it for a while before actually exiting too, so maybe it should skip the console output when ENDOOM is on.
Windows? Because on Windows it has a little 'click anywhere to quit' and that works fine. I tried it on Red Hat too and it was ok.