Your favourite classic doom wads
What would you recommend, and why?
Karma last edited by
Ultimate Doom (sans the Episode 4)
Xulgonoth administrators last edited by
Play Eternal Doom. If you already have, play it again. Play it till your fingers bleed and your carpal tunnel breaks.
Anarki last edited by
@wsadko Play Sunlust, and cry
@anarki that is planned
@anarki but i am most definetly will not single segment it
Karma last edited by
I got up until like map 11,12,13 (one of those) and quit. SS is too hard for me
I suck at doom
Cuppykeks last edited by
Biowar (classic as in old WAD) always stuck with me.
ChrisJEPlace last edited by
I actually haven't actually finished a lot of wads, but I do have a couple of favourites.
Going Down, Equinox, Grove, 2048 units of VR, The Given
Epic, Rowdy Rudy 1, Sigil, Mock 2, Plutonia
Not finished, but like so far:
Hell Ground, TNT Revilution, Resurgence, JPCP, Ancient Aliens, Eternal Doom, Preacher, Revolution, Rowdy Rudy 2, Struggle of Antaresian Legacy, A.L.T., Pirate Doom, and THT Threnody.
(Jesus Christ I didn't realise how many wads I need to finish...)
VoanHead last edited by
I'd second pretty much everything skillsaw has made, he knows how to add pressure and keep things fun.
As for other recs, here's my tiny list:
Any of the Doomer Boards Projects (yes ik, despite all the drama and controversy)
Going Down (haven't played this one yet, looks fun)
Good Morning Phobos (this one is stuck in WIP, despite it being mostly done at this point, just needs some touches)
3 heures d'agonie 3
Doom 64 for Doom 2
segfault last edited by segfault
Some of my favorite WADs:
- Eviternity (aesthetically gorgeous, interesting gameplay, amazing music, very few dud maps)
- Strange Aeons (great mix of nature, machine, and ruin themes)
- Back To Saturn X (quintessential techbase at its finest)
- AUGER;ZENITH (this no-joke got me inspired to start mapping again)
- Violence (very fun if short wad, would love to see more like this one)
- Pagodia (more strong color-themery here, a big fan)
- Dreamcatcher Apparatus (perhaps a little weird of me to put a wad I worked on here but I really am in love with every part of this one)
- Fifty Shades of GREYTALL (incredibly creative texture-work, a kitbashing inspiration for sure)
MattFright last edited by
Here's some of my favorite wads that left such a strong impression on me you can see their influence in my stuff to some degree or another depending on map:
- Sunder - Every map has the progression, ambience, scale and music of a final showdown, something that inspires me greatly.
- Going to Hell - WIP megawad that never got finished that i'd describe as "BTSX E1 without the cookie cutter level design".
- Paradise - Has combat, aesthetics and music that inspire me like nothing else. To me it almost felt like playing a whole new game.
- Lost Civilization - Gigantic explorational lush levels that make you feel like you're in a real place, without sacrificing the fun of gameplay.
- Hurt - This is the only one of these that is one single map, and despite that it feels like something special. Even from looking at the screenshots you can tell that.
There's many others i'd recommend like TNT Revilution and Eviternity, but i think those above are on a whole other level. They felt like whole unique experiences for me.